[Rd] how to test packages under platforms we don't have?

Kevin B. Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 4 16:10:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

One final question ... is there an automated build system anyplace
for package developers and R -developers to make sure their code
works on all platforms.  I was able to check with Linux, and MacOSX
(both Intel and PPC) but I do not own a Windows box and was unable to
test/debug the build in any way on that platform.

On my last project (OpenOffice.org), they used something called
"tinderbox" to automate the build on all official platforms and post
results (and build logs and errors/warnings) to a web site that any
contributors could check to make sure anything they changed or wrote
did not disrupt any thing else.

The main OpenOffice.org developers made available "child
workspaces" (typically subsets of the main development tree or even
the whole tree) that volunteer developers could commit to that had to
be validated via the "tinderbox" and a test harness before being
merged back into the tree.  That allowed the volunteers more freedom
to make changes without ever hurting the tree.  And it gave the core
developers complete control of when and if, patches and changes from
outside volunteers ever make it into the tree.

Is there anything like that for R either internally or externally?

Thanks,

Kevin