[Rd] Installation oddity on Fedora Core 5 (PR#8814)

mschwartz at mn.rr.com mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Thu Apr 27 18:44:00 CEST 2006

Hi Sudipto,

OK. Just for clarification:

'make' will simply do the compilation 'in place' in the source directory
tree. No installation is performed here.

'make install' will actually do the installation into the target folder.

You can do 'make install' without 'make' first, but I suspect a lot of
folks, myself included, will run 'make' first and then run 'make
check-all' before installing, to be sure that the compilation is intact
and passes all checks.

In fact, I keep the output of 'make check-all' as part of my
installation validation documentation.

That being said, were there any error messages output during 'make
install' that might suggest a problem such as access permission issues
to the target directory or the like?

You might also want to run (I think this is correct):

 dmesg

in a console to look for any 'avc' error messages in the error log. This
would be related to FC5's use of SELinux and there have been very
significant SELinux related policy changes in FC5 that could feasibly be
involved here also.

HTH,

Marc