[Rd] R 2.3.0: Use of NULL as an environment is deprecated

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com
Wed Apr 26 11:28:09 CEST 2006

    BernPf> Dear Andy, Uwe and remaining list subscribers,
    BernPf> now, coming closer to the evil's root. Yesterday, I source
compiled on a
    BernPf> Linux box at home and the result is the same behaviour as
pointed out
    BernPf> below. This is regardless of the package version of 'urca'.
Aside of
    BernPf> 'urca', other packages that have Imports/Depends entries in
the
    BernPf> DESCRIPTION to packages that are shipped within the standard
library of
    BernPf> R show the warning too, e.g. fMultivar, VLMC, to name but a
few.
    BernPf> I do have set on both OS, i.e. Windows and Linux, a second
library tree
    BernPf> in Renviron.site with R-LIBS. If I comment this out and do a
reinstall
    BernPf> of the packages, i.e. the packages are now installed in the
standard
    BernPf> library, the warning does not show up any longer. Has
something changed
    BernPf> with regard to additional libraries that slipped my notice
by upgrading
    BernPf> to version 2.3.0?

I don't think so.
I ***NEVER*** install a package into the standard library.
We have all CRAN packages in a different library,
(and Bioconductor too) and I typically use about 6 library (paths),
and I don't have your problem.

I only get your warning if I get a version of a package that was
installed previous to 2.3.0 (or it's alpha / beta / rc ) versions.

    BernPf> Is it possible that during startup the environment is
handeld/passed
    BernPf> differently for standard and additional libraries? Would
this odd
    BernPf> behaviour qualify as a bug?

If it was general, yes, but I think it's not.

Hello Martin and all others involved in this thread,

thank you very much for your time and patience. After having updated the
packages in the standard library, too, the warning message does indeed
not show up any longer by issuing the command library(urca) and similar
with other packages. Just out of curiosity, I wonder what has changed in
these packages (i.e. nlme, foreign, cluster and VR got updated) from
downloading the '.exe' or the tarball in the official 2.3.0 release up
to now?

Best,
Bernhard