[Rd] R 2.3.0: Use of NULL as an environment is deprecated

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com
Wed Apr 26 09:28:34 CEST 2006

Dear Andy, Uwe and remaining list subscribers,

now, coming closer to the evil's root. Yesterday, I source compiled on a
Linux box at home and the result is the same behaviour as pointed out
below. This is regardless of the package version of 'urca'. Aside of
'urca', other packages that have Imports/Depends entries in the
DESCRIPTION to packages that are shipped within the standard library of
R show the warning too, e.g. fMultivar, VLMC, to name but a few.
I do have set on both OS, i.e. Windows and Linux, a second library tree
in Renviron.site with R-LIBS. If I comment this out and do a reinstall
of the packages, i.e. the packages are now installed in the standard
library, the warning does not show up any longer. Has something changed
with regard to additional libraries that slipped my notice by upgrading
to version 2.3.0?

Is it possible that during startup the environment is handeld/passed
differently for standard and additional libraries? Would this odd
behaviour qualify as a bug?

Best,
Bernhard

From: Uwe Ligges

> Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. wrote:
>
> > Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. wrote:

> >>contributed

> >>Not so for me. Are you sure you have reinstalled those
> packages under
> >>R-2.3.0?
> >>
> >>Uwe Ligges
> >>

> >>Dear Uwe,
> >>
> >>thank you for your hint. That fixes the warnings for
> packages 'ape',
> >>'car' and 'chron' issued formerly. However, even after a
> fresh install
> >>the warnings still show up for the packages 'VLMC' and
> 'urca', as an
> >>example. Any further clues are most welcome.
> >

> > OS? R release?
> >
> > and please report the result of
> >
> >    packageDescription("urca")
> >    packageDescription("VLMC")
> >
> > Uwe Ligges
> >

> > Hello Uwe,
> >
> > here is the detailed information:
> >

> >>R.version
> >
> >                _
> > platform       i386-pc-mingw32
> > arch           i386
> > os             mingw32
> > system         i386, mingw32
> > status
> > major          2
> > minor          3.0
> > year           2006
> > month          04
> > day            24
> > svn rev        37909
> > language       R
> > version.string Version 2.3.0 (2006-04-24)
> >

> > Package: urca
> > Version: 0.9-2
>               ^^^
> > Date: 2006-02-25
> > Title: Unit root and cointegration tests for time series data
> > Author: Bernhard Pfaff <bernhard.pfaff at pfaffikus.de>
> > Maintainer: Bernhard Pfaff <bernhard at pfaffikus.de>
> > Depends: R (>= 2.0.0)
> > Imports: nlme, methods, graphics, stats
> > LazyLoad: yes
> in applied
> >         econometric analysis are implemented.
> > License: GPL version 2 or newer
> > Packaged: Sat Feb 25 19:34:29 2006; bp
> > Built: R 2.3.0; ; 2006-03-03 21:12:31; windows
>                           ^^^^^
>
> Well, 0.9-3 is on CRAN, so you have *not* upgraded your *own*
> package!!!
>
> Please upgrade ALL your packages and re-install also ALL
> those that are
> from prior R releases.

The problem could be the mirror site:  Some sites are not as up-to-date
as
others.

Andy