[Rd] gsub + backslashes

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 16:30:32 CEST 2006

\ is a special character in regular expressions so you need to
escape it as \\ but putting \\ between quotes give you only \
so you need \\\\ to get \\.  Any of these would work:

gsub("\\\\", "x", "\\alpha")
gsub("[\\]", "x", "\\alpha")
sub(".", "x", "\\alpha") # assumes \ is first character
gsub("\\", "x", "\\alpha", fixed = TRUE)
chartr("\\", "x", "\\alpha")