[Rd] unsigned long long integers

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 11:29:35 CEST 2006

Hi.

R-exts, section 1.7, discusses the passing of long long integers
between R and C.
I want to use unsigned long long integers, but
I only need them inside a C function.

I have a  function that maps the nonnegative integers to the positive
integers.
The function is defined by a delicate recursive algorithm that is exact
for integer arithmetic, but wildly incorrect for doubles.

The function increases rapidly with its argument, and ordinary integers
are not enough to illustrate my point (in a paper I am writing).

The C function is as follows:

void numbparts_longint(int *n, double *p){/* p(1)...p(n) calculated */
         int i,s,f,r;
         unsigned long long int *ip;
         unsigned long long int pp[*n];

/* COMPLICATED RECURSIVE ALGORITHM IN WHICH PP IS FILLED SNIPPED */

         for(i=0 ; i < *n ; i++){
                 p[i] = (double) pp[i];
         }
}

This compiles fine with "gcc -Wall" (and illustrates my point!)
but R CMD check reports

   partitions.c:180: warning: ISO C90 does not support 'long long'
   partitions.c:181: warning: ISO C90 does not support 'long long'

I really want long long integers here.  What are my options?
[the same happens with signed long long integers]

--
Robin Hankin
Uncertainty Analyst