[Rd] R_PAPERSIZE and LC_PAPER

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 19:48:34 CEST 2006

Marc,

Thanks for the comments.  The 2.3.x series is in feature freeze, and
although a few features do break though for patch releases, they had
better be `badly needed' see
http://developer.r-project.org/devel-guidelines.txt).

So I was thinking of 2.4.0.

My suggestion was going to be along the lines of

local({
papersize <- as.vector(Sys.getenv("R_PAPERSIZE"))
if(!nchar(papersize)) {
     lcpaper <- Sys.getlocale("LC_PAPER")
     if(nchar(lcpaper))
         papersize <- if(length(grep(, lcpaper)) > 0) "letter" else "a4"
     else papersize <- as.vector(Sys.getenv("R_PAPERSIZE_DEFAULT"))
}
options(papersize = papersize)
})

This is unchanged if LC_PAPER is unset.  For those with LC_PAPER set,
its value takes precedence over the compile-time default.  That's almost
exactly equivalent to what happens on Windows (which sets LC_MONETARY for
this purpose, as LC_PAPER is not a locale category there).

Now, one could argue that if LC_PAPER is unset it should default to
LC_ALL, but I think is less desirable.

Of course, at present Sys.getlocale("LC_PAPER") is not supported, so
that's part of the TODO.

Brian

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk