[Rd] R_PAPERSIZE and LC_PAPER

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 09:09:15 CEST 2006

R uses the environment variable R_PAPERSIZE to set its papersize, e.g. for
postscript.

It seems the modern way is to via LC_PAPER, e.g.

http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-utf8/2002-05/msg00010.html

and Googling will show that people expect this to work.

However, that is not set on my FC3 system, and it would affect people who
use en_US as their locale in, say, Austria.

Should we be making use of LC_PAPER, or would it just cause further
complications?  (On Windows, the locale name is used to set the default
papersize, but there it is unlikely to be set inappropriately.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk