[Rd] c++ code on amd64

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 17 17:54:22 CEST 2006

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> You mention 'float' repeatedly.  A %f argument in Rprintf (and printf)
> refers to a _double_.  Given how little you have shown us it has to be
> entirely guesswork, but is cel.GetIntensity(1) perhaps a float?  If so
> what happens is I believe undefined and compiler-specific.  (Normally
> headers force conversions, but not for variable-argument-list functions.)

I don't think so.   The N843 draft of the ISO C standard
(http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n843.htm) says
in 6.5.2.2
        [#7]  If the expression that denotes the called function has |
        a type that does include  a  prototype,  the  arguments  are
        implicitly  converted,  as if by assignment, to the types of
        the  corresponding  parameters,  taking  the  type  of  each
        parameter  to  be  the  unqualified  version of its declared
        type.   The  ellipsis  notation  in  a  function   prototype
        declarator causes argument type conversion to stop after the
        last declared parameter.  The  default  argument  promotions
        are performed on trailing arguments.

The "default argument promotions" include promoting float to double. This
is also what comp.lang.c FAQ 12.9 says: the answer begins

   "It's true that printf's %f specifier works with both float and double
    arguments.Due to the ``default argument promotions'' (which apply in
    variable-length argument lists such as printf's, whether or
    not prototypes are in scope), values of type float are promoted to
    double, and  printf therefore sees only doubles.

I assume this applies to Rprintf as well

 	-thomas