[Rd] Wishlist: 'quietly' argument for .onAttach() / .First.lib()

Bill Dunlap bill at insightful.com
Thu Apr 13 21:12:05 CEST 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Peter Ruckdeschel wrote:
>
> > Hi R-devels,
> >
> > in "Writing R extensions" as well as in the help
> > to .onAttach(), you mention that one could
> > use this function to issue a start-up message/banner
> > for the package.
> >
> > My little wish for Easter:
> >
> > a 'quietly'-type argument for .onAttach() / .First.lib()
> > which is passed through by functions
> > require() and library() respectively,
> > and by means of which one could optionally
> > suppress this start-up message/banner .
> >
> > Is this hard to do?
>
> I believe so (and think we have been here before).  The documented call
> sequence is
>
>       .onLoad(libname, pkgname)
>       .onAttach(libname, pkgname)
>
> the same as .First.lib.  There is no way to add an argument here, as many
> existing packages do not support it.  Beyond that, how would you pass the
> argument in?  Namespaces and packages are often loaded/attached implicitly
> as a result of loading other packages.
>
> I did think you could make use of an option to decide whether to the print
> the message or not, but I have always assumed that those who did want a
> banner probably did not want it suppressed.

If the .onAttach() used message() instead of cat()
to display the banner message then you could use
	suppressMessages(require("randomForest"))
to squelch the message.

Bill Dunlap
Insightful Corporation
bill at insightful dot com
360-428-8146

 "All statements in this message represent the opinions of the author and do
 not necessarily reflect Insightful Corporation policy or position."