[Rd] Wishlist: 'quietly' argument for .onAttach() / .First.li b()

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Apr 13 17:14:55 CEST 2006

From: Prof Brian Ripley

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Peter Ruckdeschel wrote:
>
> > Hi R-devels,
> >
> > in "Writing R extensions" as well as in the help
> > to .onAttach(), you mention that one could
> > use this function to issue a start-up message/banner
> > for the package.
> >
> > My little wish for Easter:
> >
> > a 'quietly'-type argument for .onAttach() / .First.lib() which is
> > passed through by functions
> > require() and library() respectively,
> > and by means of which one could optionally
> > suppress this start-up message/banner .
> >
> > Is this hard to do?
>
> I believe so (and think we have been here before).  The
> documented call
> sequence is
>
>       .onLoad(libname, pkgname)
>       .onAttach(libname, pkgname)
>
> the same as .First.lib.  There is no way to add an argument
> here, as many
> existing packages do not support it.  Beyond that, how would
> you pass the
> argument in?  Namespaces and packages are often
> loaded/attached implicitly
> as a result of loading other packages.
>
> I did think you could make use of an option to decide whether
> to the print
> the message or not, but I have always assumed that those who
> did want a
> banner probably did not want it suppressed.

That certainly is the case with randomForest, speaking for myself
here.  The banner I put in contains the version number of the
package and a reminder to see what's been changed/fixed.  I have
not seen a compelling reason why suppressing such information is
necessary (as opposed to "desirable").  I believe reporting
version number upon startup is a Good Thing, as all too often
people ask questions or report problems about packages without
mentioning the version of the packages they used.  I see this as
a way of reminding the users.

Andy