[Rd] Stack checking, core dumps, and embedding R

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 22:12:03 CEST 2006

On 4/11/06, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>
> > I will say this first -- I can't copy/paste the error message from the
> > screen, so it's being retyped.  Errors might occur.  SORRY.
> >
> > I've been experiencing some interesting stack warnings recently when
> > moving from R 2.2.x to the R 2.3.0 series and the R 2.4.0 series.  In
> > particular, I'm getting warnings of "Error: C stack usage is too close
> > to the limit" before segfaulting, and this wasn't happening under the
> > 2.2.x series.

Okay, using 2-2-patched, I'm fine.

Using 2-3-patched and R-devel, I'm not fine (stack warnings and segfaulting).

What is the precise incantation for setting the stack?   using
"--max-ppsize=N"    didn't seem to help my problem (for values of N of
5000, 25000, 50000 -- should I try others?)

(This is under SBCL, i.e. satisfying Duncan's conjectures -- as soon
as I fix a few things (i.e. undoing CommonLispStat/R's threading which
is a bit SBCL specific, I'll try under CLISP, ECL, and CMUCL to
verify/check).

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).