[Rd] get(name, envir=envir) : formal argument "envir" matched by multiple actual arguments

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Mon Apr 10 15:54:56 CEST 2006

Hi,

very sporadic and non-reproducible, I get the following type of errors:

Error in get(name, envir = envir) : formal argument "envir" matched by
multiple actual arguments

Error in exists(cacheName, envir = envir, inherit = FALSE) : formal
argument "envir" matched by multiple actual arguments

Error in paste(..., sep = sep) : formal argument "sep" matched by
multiple actual arguments

I cannot see how these errors can occur. Note, in the third example
"..." does not contain a 'sep' (or an argument with the same prefix).

The thing is that it does not happen all the time and if I just re-run
my code it works fine again.  What I can remember, I've seen this
since about R v2.0.0 or so.  My current version is Rv 2.3.0 alpha
(2006-04-02 r37626) on WinXP.  It has been to rare to be able to
troubleshoot it and I cannot reproduce it more than running a script
for hours.  If I rename the variable to say,

envir2 <- envir
get(name, envir=envir2)

the problem seems to go away, i.e. it is not frequent enough to observe it.

Has anyone else seen this?

/Henrik