[Rd] Should demo files be run as part of R CMD check?

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:38:22 CEST 2006

> > The rationale may be that a demo is entitled to assume it is being run
> > interactively.  Checking demo(tkdensity), for example, would be
> > unproductive.
>
> Also, it is easy for a package author to arrange to check the demos by a
> test in the package's tests directory.

Thanks for your comments - I hadn't considered the case of interactive
demos, and as you say it is easy enough to add these checks by using a
test in the tests directory.    Would it be helpful to provide a short
note to this effect in writing R extensions?  I would be happy to
provide a diff against the latest source.

Hadley