[Rd] gfortran Makefile for windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 11:43:55 CEST 2005

I am unaware that gfortran or gcc4 exist as a MinGW binary for Windows.
You mention Cygwin, but that is not a supported platform for R.

There is a g95 binary for Windows.

You can find how to link on Windows from the sources: most of the rules
are in src/gnuwin32/MkRules.   I suspect all you need is to set
pkgname-DLLLIBS appropriately.

I don't see that you need a Makefile: a Makevars file would suffice and
avoid your hardcoding so many OS-specific features.  In any case it seems
to me that in general you need to link against the Fortran libraries: you
may get away with it on MacOS, but you will not on Windows.

Support for F95 files is planned for R 2.3.0, but depends on being able to
differentiate F77 and F95 sources where needed (most platforms).
Meanwhile we will try to add an example to the R-admin manual for 2.2.0.

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Joel Bremson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> (Originally posted to r-help)

Congratulations: you have now read the posting guide and selected an
appropriate list!  Perhaps soon you will get the part about not sending
HTML mail?

Seriously, there is a posting guide, and it asks you to do your homework
before posting.  Please show us the courtesy of doing so.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk