[Rd] complex.h in R

Jennifer Lai lai at lindaspaces.com
Mon Sep 26 19:31:42 CEST 2005

Hi,

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Jennifer Lai wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I checked config.log and BLAS_LIBS was not set. However, I have set
>> BLAS_LIBS='-L/usr/lib64 -lblas' in config.site file.
>> I can't figure out why BLAS_LIBS is not set, when PGI compiler is
>> used. When gcc is used, BLAS_LIBS need not be set in config.site and
>> automatically get picked up by the configuration script.
>>
>> Here is a snapshot of the configuration script output (for buidling R
>> with PGI compiler):
>> checking for complex.h... yes
>> checking for double complex... no
>> checking for sgemm_ in -L/usr/lib64 -lblas... yes
>> checking whether double complex BLAS can be used... no
>>
>> Is there other thing I should look into in the config.log?
>

> You need to look for the evidence for the line
>
>> checking for sgemm_ in -L/usr/lib64 -lblas... yes
>

> in config.log.  I very much doubt that -L/usr/lib64 helps you: surely
> that should be in your library path.  But you will probably find you
> cannot mix code compiled under different compilers, especially as
> -lblas is likely to be Fortran compiled with g77.  (You may need
> -lblas -lg2c, but you would be better off using the BLAS built into R.)

"-lg2c -lblas" didn't work.  I am not sure if mixing code compiled under
different compilers is the problem, because I built R with ACML library
(PGI compiled), and config.log still shows that BLAS_LIBS is not set.
Sorry for being ignorant, but where is the BLAS built into R? Is
configuring R with "--without-blas" option pick up the BLAS built into
R? I thought it's to build R with BLAS package.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jennifer