[Rd] Wishlist - access non-text from clipboard in Windows

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 21:33:05 CEST 2005

On 9/22/05, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> On 9/22/2005 2:50 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> >> We'd need to write clipboard() first.  This might be a good idea, but
> >> it's not at the top of my priority list.
> >
> > Sorry, its readClipboard() rather than clipboard().  See ?readClipboard
>
> I don't think I ever noticed that function.  It looks tricky to
> determine how much data is there.  For text it goes to the first NULL
> character, but what do you do for other formats?  Can you see how the
> package you mentioned does it?
>
> Duncan Murdoch
> >

> >> I think a better thing for R to do is to make sure it's easy for package
> >> writers to write connections.  Then a package writer could write
> >> clipboard(), and it would fit into the rest of the R machinery.
> >>
> >> Duncan Murdoch

Look in clipboard.c in the source. It seems to use GetClipboardData.
See Microsoft's site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/dataexchange/clipboard/clipboardreference/clipboardfunctions/getclipboarddata.asp

or just google for GetClipboardData .  Its the first hit.