[Rd] as.Date() , feature or bug?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 15 18:24:38 CEST 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Bo Peng wrote:
>
>>> Well, bug, if you really want to call it a bug that you cannot represent
>>> the year 6666. ;-)
>>

>> So I guess we need a warning message and a line in help(as.Date)?
>
> Even better a fix (than an *error* message), since the POSIX classes can
> handle the date and I do not (yet) see the reason why Date cannot. But I
> have no time to dig deeper (at least not this week).

Well, actually they cannot.  There is a limit of dates +/- 5000 years from
the epoch (1970-01-01).  This should have returned NA, and now does.

What does anyone want such dates for?  I hope there was an extremely good
reason to spend other people's time on this, and look forward to an
extremely convincing explanation.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk