[Rd] dyn.load error -- undefined symbol: ...

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Sun Sep 11 22:13:32 CEST 2005

You should tell us what operating system you are working on.

If it is a Unix variant, you can use the command ldd:

    ldd interface.so

and see if and where it finds all the libraries against which you link.

(otool -L  on Mac OS X will give you similar information.)

Then make certain that the symbol N_VNew_Serial is defined in
one of those. You can find which symbols are available from
a library, etc. using the command nm -g

If you don't find your problem, you should post the
output from R CMD SHLIB ...  so that we can see
the link command and give you some suggestions as
to where to look.

   D.