[Rd] Install packages to non-default lib on Windows

Seth Falcon sethfalcon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 23:09:02 CEST 2005

On  8 Sep 2005, ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de wrote:
>>> installing inst files installing data files installing man source
>>> files installing indices cannot create
>>> d:/biocbld/R-devel/doc/html/search/index.txt: permission denied
>
> I was also annoyed about this point a couple of times. But what are
> possible solutions?
>
> - not updating indices at all?

No idea how difficult this would be but...  Perhaps there could be a
system and local help indices (defined by R_LIBS).  If a package is
installed in a local package library, I don't really see the point of
adding an entry in a global index.

> - provide a switch such as --no-indices for the R CMD tools?

Or perhaps making the failure to write into the index a warning and
not a fatal error?  Not updating the help index seems unfatal to me.

> short time workaround: simply give users write access to the few
> files that have to write to.

Yep.

Thanks,

+ seth