[Rd] Rgnome depends on obsolete components libglade/libxml (PR#8247)

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 25 10:54:30 CEST 2005

Marc Schwartz (via MN) wrote:
<snipped>
> This brings us full circle to the whole GUI discussion taking place and
> so I'll leave it for that thread.

That's unfortunately correct. The three GUI's (out of the dozen listed
at R-GUI FAQ) I have so far looked into, are all somewhat "officially"
endorsed:

(1) Sciview-R comes from the author/primary-maintainer of the R-GUI FAQ.
(2) RGUI is bundled with R.
(3) RgnomeGUI has been officially bundled with R in the past and only
(recently?) splitted out as a separate contrib package.

I have started in the order of perceived "authenticity" (which may
obviously be misguided). The others of the dozen don't carry the
same "authenticity". e.g. JGR seems a fine one, and so does some of
the others. At the moment, I don't have a 4th candidate.

We have gone through this point before - it appears that
you don't need a GUI, I don't need it either, but somebody else may
need one, and as such, in a supervisory/teaching role one tries to
find a common denominator e.g. so students can exchange notes and
tips, and so that novices can ask "stupid" questions and expect
statistically significant number of sympathetic ears to offer
helpful advices without the self-confessed experts coming down
hard on them for being stupid.

Hin-Tak Leung