[Rd] read.table error upon package installation (PR#8230)

Robert.McGehee@geodecapital.com Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Fri Oct 21 00:58:20 CEST 2005

Upon upgrading to R 2.2.0 on my Windows box, I found that one of my
packages no longer compiled, giving this error:

Error in read.table(zfile, header =3D TRUE) :
	more columns than column names
Execution halted

After removing every line of code from my package and still not being
able to compile it, I found the error to be related to a .txt file in my
data directory. I reduced my data file to a very simple example which
causes the error, and a nearly identical file which does not cause the
problem.

A file with these contents causes the error (I am using \t to indicate
the usual tab delimiter).
x	\t	y
A B C	\t	DEF

However, if I remove one of the spaces between A and B or B and C, the
package compiles fine:
x	\t	y
A BC	\t	DEF

I can only guess that there is some kind of parsing problem when there
is more than one space between tab delimiters.

Robert

> version
         _             =20
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386          =20
os       mingw32       =20
system   i386, mingw32 =20
status                 =20
major    2             =20
minor    2.0           =20
year     2005          =20
month    10            =20
day      06            =20
svn rev  35749         =20
language R        =20

This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, are intended for us...{{dropped}}