[Rd] can't start csh (scripts) (PR#8220)

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 14:15:28 CEST 2005

This works perfectly correctly in four separate configurations (32-/64-bit
x gcc/cc) on our Solaris 8, and I can see no change in the R sources for
do_system since Mar 2004.

Are you sure that it is not something in your build environment that has
changed since 2.1.1 was built?

Please confirm that if you build 2.1.1 and 2.2.0 with the same tools they
behave differently, and if so tell us what those tools are.

All R is doing here is to call the C system call and the output comes from
the shell directly to the terminal, without any intervention from R.  You
might try a command that actually does something permanent to confirm that
csh is executing it: if that is the case the issue is how csh writes to
your terminal.