[Rd] Antwort: Re: Inconsistency with matrix indexing (PR#8214)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Oct 18 15:50:59 CEST 2005

On 10/18/2005 9:32 AM, stefan.albrecht at allianz.com wrote:
> Dear Duncan,
>
> you are right. In both R 2.2.0 and 2.1.1 you get the same result. What has
> actually changed is the following:
> In R 2.1.1
>> mat[1, , drop = FALSE][1]
> r1
>  1
>
> While in R 2.2.0
>> mat[1, , drop = FALSE][1]
> [1] 1

I don't agree with your suggestion.  mat[1, , drop = FALSE] is a  1x3
matrix, with both row and column names.  Indexing it by [1] says that
you want to treat it as a vector, and give the first element.  How could
R know whether to keep the row or column name for that [1,1] element?
What should it do with the expression

mat[1,1 , drop = FALSE][1]

?

If you are really concerned about the names, you should use matrix
indexing in both places with drop = FALSE:

 > mat[1, , drop = FALSE][1,1,drop=FALSE]
    c1
r1  1

Duncan Murdoch