[Rd] checking S3 generic/method consistency

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Mon Oct 17 16:21:31 CEST 2005

Kurt

Ok, but I'm still confused about what "as seen from the package" means.
I'm especially confused because at first in my testing (on Linux) a
method (in a package not in dse but using dse1) was being compared
against the stats generic, so I put in a work around. Then I discovered
in Solaris the comparison was made against the generic in dse1. And now,
after some further ongoing development I find that in some of my
packages in Linux it is compared against the dse1 generic, and I can't
see what is different between the ones compared with dse1 and the ones
compared with stats. This is all with the released version of R-2.2.0. I
can't figure out what changes this, but I'm not even sure where to start
looking. Is the package's view determined by its NAMESPACE, Depends in
the DESCRIPTION file, or if there is requires() in the .onLoad will that
override? This is all with a fairly "clean" test environment. What
happens when other packages are attached? Where/how does it break when
there are other packages attached that need conflicting generics (or can
that actually work)?

Thanks,
Paul