[Rd] [R-gui] R GUI considerations (was: R, Wine, and multi-threadedness)

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 21:30:36 CEST 2005

Interesting.

So, we've got lots of people that want GUIs, lots of variants with
existing prototypes, and lots of clamor for skilled collaborators.

As most of the work has seemed to be of the "I know this, and this is
what I want to do", it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
I've still not seen a GUI that I'd call good.  There are many adequate
ones, and I've finally reached the point of appreciating the adequacy
of the MS approach (which is different than my previous attitude).

I hope someone creates a good one that is stable.  That's half the
problem right there, in that the implementation is a huge component of
the theory.

Widget sets are less interesting than the overall approach, but
unfortunately provide the basic characterizations of what might be
possible.

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).