[Rd] R, Wine, and multi-threadedness.

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 19:33:03 CEST 2005

Marc Schwartz (via MN) wrote:
<snipped>
> I was more focused (and confused) on the Rgui.exe menus as the principal
> justification for taking this approach, but again, perhaps I am lacking
> context.

I think you are confused about Rgui.exe, versus "having a GUI for R"
(which is what I wrote - I never wrote "Rgui.exe", as that was *not*
what I meant all along). I did try but failed with the Sciview-R -
it would install but won't run. Since the actual GUI faq is hosted
by sciview on "http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/" as you pointed out,
by association, my first guess was that it is a good bet to try
the Sciview-R one first.

If anybody can name a "better" GUI than sciview-R, windows or linux,
I am all ears - "better" in any sense of the word, preferably
not in the ESS sense, as I already have that - nothing obviously
against it, but I like alternatives, preferably covering different
usage areas.

Before anybody jump in again, the fact that sciview-R is somewhat .NET
framework dependent (at least the binary installed by the
default installer seems to be) is justifiably a development issue?

Hin-Tak Leung