[Rd] R, Wine, and multi-threadedness.

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 16:07:29 CEST 2005

Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
<snipped>
>>> (2) The interesting question: As I understand it (could be wrong),
>>> R Win32 is (partly) multi-threaded, and the native linux R is not.
>>> Is is possible to have better performance or CPU utilisation
>>> on multi-CPU systems running Win32 R under Wine rather than natively?
>>> At least on certain specific application areas?
>>

>> Rterm.exe is multithreaded, but the second thread is only used for
>> input. RGui.exe is singlethreaded.  As R for Windows uses a DLL it is
>> about the same speed (running Windows natively on the same hardware)
>> as R under ix86 Linux using a shared library, and that is appreciably
>> slower than R under ix86 Linux without (see the R-admin manual).  R
>> under Linux can make use of a multithreaded BLAS, but I know of none
>> available for Windows.
>

> Is the Intel MKL not available form Windows? Somewhat surprising...

Sorry to reply to my own post.

Actually, FAQ 8.2 for r-on-windows and the netlib FAQ:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#Can-I-use-a-fast-BLAS_003f
http://www.netlib.org/blas/faq.html#9

seems to suggest otherwise - from what it says, (1) the BLAS dll can be
conveniently replaced without recompiling, (2) most vendor BLAS
implementations are multi-threaded. In fact the Atlas implementation
is explicitly named in both places.

Now, the interesting questions are: (1) is Atlas multi-threaded on
*every* platform, or more specifically, on Windows?, (2) Can wine
use the atlas dll under x86 linux?

Hin-Tak Leung