[Rd] Installing R-2.2.0 package

Dean, David P david.p.dean at pfizer.com
Thu Oct 13 15:47:57 CEST 2005

Dear list,

I've just installed R-2.2.0 under Solaris and have a question about
installing packages. If a package fails to install for any reason and I go
to install another package, I get this message:

$ R-2.2.0-64bit --vanilla CMD INSTALL ~/srca/cran/RSQLite_0.4-0.tar.gz
ERROR: failed to lock directory
'/app/openpkg/lib/R-2.2.0-64bit/lib/R/library' for modifying
Try removing '/app/openpkg/lib/R-2.2.0-64bit/lib/R/library/00LOCK'

I can remove the lock directory by hand, and then the next package installs,
but this makes it quite difficult to download and install a batch of
packages from CRAN or Biocondctor! Is this lock directory a new feature with
R-2.2.0? Is there a work around in the R build itself or the installation
scripts?

Much thanks!!!
David P Dean
Research Informatics