[Rd] R, Wine, and multi-threadedness.

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 13:19:17 CEST 2005

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
<snipped>
> It's possible you have the wrong R.dll installed, because I don't see
> any dependency on that file in the no-mbcs version of Rgui.exe or R.dll.
> Do you have pedump?  Can you see imports from MSVCP60.DLL in your copy
> of R.dll?

I don't currently have pedump, but I have used it before and I can get
it. I'll have a look around the R-shipped dll's and will report
back. During the installation, I just picked "English".
Apparently the extra DLL dependency is just for wide-char support?

Is the English version sensitive to Locale? My LANG is set to
"en_GB.UTF-8" as is most recent Redhat linux systems, and Wine probably
does strange things with it. (and I have some CJK fonts installed).

<snipped>
>> (2) The interesting question: As I understand it (could be wrong),
>> R Win32 is (partly) multi-threaded, and the native linux R is not.
>> Is is possible to have better performance or CPU utilisation
>> on multi-CPU systems running Win32 R under Wine rather than natively?
>> At least on certain specific application areas?
>

> I doubt it, but you'll have to try.  R uses two threads on Windows so
> that it can respond to Windows messages (repainting, etc.).  It won't
> really offload any substantial amount of computation to a second CPU.

Wine on linux most of the time consists of at least two processes,
with a "wine server" process doing screen drawings, etc.

Hin-Tak Leung