[Rd] Project suggestion: Interface between R and graphic devices

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Sun Oct 9 17:58:26 CEST 2005

Knut Krueger wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley schrieb:
>

>>I think you do not mean `graphics devices' as used by R (pdf,
>>postscript, X11, windows, quartz etc).
>

> Sorry no I do not mean such "devices"
> I thought about the Graphic User Interfaces, to use the R-System with a
> windows like surface http://www.sciviews.org/.
> I see the difficulties for the user which want to change from SPSS or
> Statistica or ? to R just inside my family.
> I am using R to reproduce the SPSS results (just for fun because I want
> my to learn R) my wife is using SPSS for her research program.
> But it takes a long time for scientist to learn the command line syntax.
> There is not time for this if the scientist is just inside a any
> research ... and the scientist is mostly inside any research.
>
> for example http://www.sciviews.org/. was broken since the new version
> 2.?? (I think so). But if there would be a defined interface between the
> GUIs and R the developer of this interface must only change one
> interface instead all developer of the  GUIs must change their GUIs
> If i remember then I it was a great improvement of Linux in the past
> after there was a GUI available which was like windows. This was a great
> step for the acceptance of LINUX. I think this would be the same for R.
> but there must be a stable interface for GUI programmers available before.
> Hope this could clarify my suggestion :-)
>
> Regards Knut

This is not true. Version 0.8-8 of SciViews-R
(http://www.sciviews.org/SciViews-R) is compatible with R 2.1.1. There
were several months of delay between R 2.1.X and the compatible
SciViews-R version... There were a lot of changes required in my code,
because of the internationalization of R. I though translating R in
French was a priority, so, I have been working on "R French" first.
Also, I took a little time with my baby that was born in April... life
is not limited to programming R!

Remember that Open Source is a collaborative and voluntary approach of
developing software. If you want to use all the time the latest R
version, just learn to use its standard command line interface. If you
prefer SciViews, JGR, R Commander, etc., then you should expect some
delay before R releases and compatible GUI releases. Indeed, one must
say that R Commander has always been released on time with the latest R
version, as fart as I know, and JGR is very close to. Latest SciViews
version was very, very late. I apologize for that.

Best regards,

Philippe Grosjean

..............................................<°}))><........
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone (3D08)
( ( ( ( (    Academie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles
  ) ) ) ) )   8, av du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
( ( ( ( (
  ) ) ) ) )   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.30.54
( ( ( ( (    email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    web:   http://www.umh.ac.be/~econum
  ) ) ) ) )          http://www.sciviews.org