[Rd] Building packages on Windows fails

Peter Kleiweg pkleiweg at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 7 17:12:55 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley schreef op de 7e dag van de wijnmaand van het jaar 2005:

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Peter Kleiweg wrote:
>
> > Duncan Murdoch schreef op de 6e dag van de wijnmaand van het jaar 2005:

> > > Many things have changed; I don't know which is causing
> > > the failure you see. One change is that instructions are
> > > now collected in the Installation and Administration
> > > manual. Try following the setup instructions there and see
> > > if it still fails.
> >
> > I can't find anything on building packages for Windows in
> > that manual.
>
> Your problems was installing, so the section on `Installing
> Packages' should help you.

Installing worked fine. Building a binary distribution (with
compiled help files) is what didn't work.

This worked fine:

    Rcmd build iL04

But that just gave a gzip'ed tarfile, not a zip-file, and
without the compiled helpfiles.

This didn't work:

    Rcmd build --force --binary iL04

> > I did find a solution to the problem. On a Linux install,
> > each package has a file CONTENTS. These are missing from the
> > Windows install. I copied those files from my Linux install
> > to my Windows install, and then I could build my own
> > package. So I guess, these CONTENTS files should be included
> > in the Windows install.
>
> And indeed they are, as the presence of 500+ packages on CRAN
> for Windows will show you.

Well, I just ran the install program for Windows, with compiled
html help, but without the ordinary html help files. In that
case, no CONTENTS files get installed.

> The recommended way to build a binary package on Windows is
>
> R CMD INSTALL --build

Yes, that works. Even without the CONTENTS files. And this is
recommended in the manual "Creating R packages", another manual
than Duncan Murdoch was referring to.

I was using a method that was recommended in earlier versions.
Perhaps that method should just be disabled, with a
message about the current method, instead of having it fail for
obscure reasons.

--
Peter Kleiweg
http://www.let.rug.nl/~kleiweg/