[Rd] .Net Framework Wrapper

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 6 23:12:34 CEST 2005

Cyrus Harmon has used the same approach to interface R to Lisp
and I recently discussed this with him. He has gotten a long way.

I have developed a "lot" of inter-system interfaces and I
hadn't really considered going this route, i.e. interfacing
to the C routines in the R API or further still those
not necessarily "published" in the DLL.  I tend to work
at higher level with a very thin engine that
connects the two systems.  Instead of calling,
for example, Rf_parse() (or whatever) and the Rf_eval(),
I create a very general C routine that can call an arbitrary R function
and with arbitrary arguments. Then I can call the R function parse().
Then I can also call the R function eval(). And the nice thing about
this is that error handling is done correctly.
If you call Rf_parse() at the C-level, where will you return
to if there is an error.

I have waited to interface to .Net until there appeared to be a need
for it. But I had planned on using the approach for interfacing to
other systems, i.e. using the thin engine.
I will be interested to compare the relative merits of your approach.
You have access to every aspect of R and can build the interface
in either language. So in principal, you can do everything in
a variety of languages.

  D.