[Rd] R crashes for large formulas in lm() (PR#8180)

Ei-ji Nakama nakama at ki.rim.or.jp
Wed Oct 5 17:30:27 CEST 2005

Hi,

Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:38:12 +0100 (BST)
Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote.
> This is almost certainly C stack overflow, which will be _very_
> OS-specific. I can run this 9-var example in Linux with a stacksize of
> 30Mb, but not the default 10Mb. I tried it with the default stack under
> valgrind, and it works.
>
> Windows versions of R have I believe a stack of 8Mb, and so I suspect are
> running close to that with 8-var example.
>
> The problem appears to be recursion in StripTerm.

default of stack of ld for Mingw seems to be 2M.
see. binutils-2.16.91-20050827-1/ld/emultempl/pe.em
   289    D(SizeOfStackReserve,"__size_of_stack_reserve__", 0x200000),

How about adding the following to MkRules?
MINGW32LDFLAG=-Wl,--stack=33554432
--
http://www.nakama.ne.jp
e-mail : EIJI Nakama <nakama at ki.rim.or.jp>