[Rd] Option "installWithVers" seems to impact new.packages() badly?

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 21:45:57 CEST 2005

Please grow up, Brian.   If you want to side track the issue, why
don't you wait for Robert, etc, to answer?  Are you pissed at that
particular change, so that if anyone brings up a problem with it, and
who might happen to have had a conversation with them once or twice,
that you will jump on them?  Or do you need to enlighten me on your
perceptions of my failings on my part for not knowing what everyone I
know is doing and whether what they are doing is correct?  Gosh
almightly.

Right now, as has been true for nearly a year now, my time with R is
strictly a hobby, as is any little time I might spend on BioC.

Thankfully, Luke's ancient Common LispStat works on SBCL.  Hobbys are
for enjoyment, and given the berating I've just gotten on the two
questions, it's almost enough to make the switch complete.

If you want to report issues about ash, feel free to.  That wasn't the
issue I reported on.  I reported on two, we've solved one, and I've
had a snide clueless remark and a rather tactless remark on the other.

best,
-tony

On 10/4/05, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Please don't mangle replies like this to make them unreadable.
>
> Peter's comment is spot-on.  The request for versioned installs and the
> original code came from the BioC team via Robert Gentleman.  I presume it
> was a deliberate choice that a versioned install of 'ash' is reported as
> an installation of 'ash_1.0-9', not 'ash', and I was referring you to the
> authors (and RG was one and will know who else was involved, as I recall
> at least Jeff Gentry) as to their intentions.

> > But what the heck did that have to do with anything?   Should I bemaking comments to  Brian about Peter Donnelly or Jotun Hein if I'vegot comments about their work just because he's at Oxford?
> > Irrelevant network connections are irrelevant, and the comment aboutBioC made no sense whatsoever to me.
> > best,-tony
> > blindglobe at gmail.comMuttenz, Switzerland."Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easilyroll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).
> >

> --

best,