[Rd] segfault on write.dcf with gzfile connection

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 27 23:10:07 CET 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Seth Falcon wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2005, ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately va_copy is an ISO C99 function, so not always
>> available.
>>
>> Please do heed the posting guide and give us real details of your OS
>> and compiler, as they do matter here (stdarg.h is often
>> compiler-specific).
>
>    > R.version
>             _
>    platform x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>    arch     x86_64
>    os       linux-gnu
>    system   x86_64, linux-gnu
>    status   Under development (unstable)
>    major    2
>    minor    3.0
>    year     2005
>    month    11
>    day      23
>    svn rev  36434
>    language R
>
>    gcc --version
>    gcc (GCC) 3.3.4 (pre 3.3.5 20040809)

Thanks.  The only one of my systems that seems to have any problem is FC3
x86_64 with gcc 3.4.3.  The fixes I have put in (different on R-patched
and R-devel) fix this example and the one now in reg-tests-1-R on that
machine at least.

> This page appears to have useful documentation:
> http://www.unixpapa.com/incnote/variadic.html

It's somewhat dated: (almost-)C99 compilers are much more common these
days.

> Thinking out loud: Does writecon need to be variadic?  It is only
> called once with a fixed format string "%s%s".

It does not, but the print method for gzfile connections does.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk