[Rd] make check fails for R 2.3.0 (PR#8343)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 22 17:34:34 CET 2005

    >> You are reporting as a bug in R a problem on your own system in an=20
    >> unreleased ('unstable') version of R.

    Arne> I used this version to check my R packages because the
    Arne> packages on CRAN are checked by R-devel, too.

    >> Since it is unstable and
    >> unreleased, such things are by definition not bugs in R.

    Arne> Sorry, I did not know this. I thought that my report could help you.
    Arne> The next time when I will find an error in R-devel I won't report it.

No; please do "report" the problem, which may be useful for
development, but please do *NOT* use the bug repository, and
probably don't assume it's a bug in R, unless you have quite a
bit experience about R bugs and non-bugs.

Instead, just send e-mail to R-devel and explain,
and you may actually helping R development, particularly if you
are willing to investigate some details that we ma ask you
about.

    >> Others are not seeing this, so we cannot do anything
    >> about the problems=20 seen on your system.  This is not
    >> at all a new test, and although random=20 it is run with
    >> set.seed(1). I can reproduce the result in the output
    >> file= =20 (on my systems) exactly by
    >>
    >> > set.seed(1)
    >> > hist(replicate(100, mean(rexp(10))))
    >>
    >> Please see if you can debug it on your own system.  (My guess would be=20
    >> that it only occurs as part of the test file.)

    Arne> Yes, that's exactly the case. If you want any further
    Arne> information please don't hesitate to contact
    Arne> me. Otherwise I won't bother you anymore with this
    Arne> issue.

Too bad.
It might have been interesting to see what

 set.seed(1)
 replicate(100, mean(rexp(10)))

or also

 set.seed(1)
 hist(replicate(100, mean(rexp(10))))
 traceback()

gives on your R-devel installation.
That's why Brian Ripley helped you by mentioning 'set.seed(1)'.

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich