[Rd] install.packages in R 2.2.0

Iago Mosqueira imosqueira at suk.azti.es
Tue Nov 22 17:19:57 CET 2005

Dear all,

I am having trouble with install.packages() when specifying a non-CRAN
repository. The command below works in R 2.1.0 and R 2.1.1 compiled from
source in Linux, bringing up the Tcl/Tk interface for selection, but in
2.2.0 I get

> install.packages(repos='http://flr-project.org/R')
Error in install.packages(repos = "http://flr-project.org/R") :
        argument "pkgs" is missing, with no default
In addition: Warning message:
number of rows of result
        is not a multiple of vector length (arg 2) in: cbind(1, res0,
Repository = repos)

Has there been any change to this function, or the way repositories
should be organised, that I have missed in the NEWS file?

For example, a package file called FLCore_1.0.7.tar.gz is located in
http://flr-project/R/src/contrib/ and the relevant entry in the PCAKGEs
file looks like this:

Package: FLCore
Version: 1.0.7
Depends: R (>=2.2.0), methods, graphics, stats, lattice

but install.packages from R 2.2.0 is not getting to it.

In contrast, The FLCore_1.0.3.3.tar.gz file, with entry

Package: FLCore
Version: 1.0.3.3
Depends: R (>=2.1.0), methods, graphics, stats, lattice

gets picked up when install.packages is called from R 2.1.1. There are
other packages in this repository that do not have versions dependent on
R version, but still the same problem appears.

Any ideas? Thanks very much,

Iago Mosqueira