[Rd] A problem with glm() and possibly model-using functions in general?

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 18 23:46:34 CET 2005

So, consider the following:

 > example(glm)
 > g = function(model) { w = runif(9);glm(model,weights=w); }
 > g(counts ~ outcome + treatment)
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object "w" not found

Huh?! I suspect that somebody is lazily evaluating arguments in the
wrong environment (probably GlobalEnv in this case). I'm willing to
accept the fact that there's some mysterious reason you'd actually
want this behavior, but this looks like it should be filed as a bug
to me.

---
Byron Ellis (ellis at stat.harvard.edu)
"Oook" -- The Librarian