[Rd] problem with \eqn (PR#8322)

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 18 17:38:28 CET 2005

Your own fault. See below. It is basic LaTeX and any LaTeX person
can tell you the answer...(most probably haven't bothered...)

ross at biostat.ucsf.edu wrote:
> Full_Name: Ross Boylan
> Version: 2.2.0
> OS: Linux
> Submission from: (NULL) (65.175.48.58)
>

>   \eqn{{\bf\beta}_j}{b(j)} in my .Rd file produces this error

> ! Missing $ inserted.
> <inserted text>
>                 $
> l.7 \eqn{{\bf\beta}_j}{\bf\beta}_
>                                  jnormal-bracket5bracket-normal{b(j)}

\eqn{{\bf\beta}_j} is already syntactically complete, so latex
complains the next "_" is not in maths mode, and automatically
switch into maths mode for you (the $ inserted message) You have
to match all the braces - you need 3 right-braces after \eqn,
like this, at least:

\eqn{  {  {\bf\beta
           }_j
        }