[Rd] Malformed package name (PR#8314)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Nov 16 11:40:24 CET 2005

petrakl at zce.cz writes:

> Full_Name: L. Petrák
> Version: 2.2
> OS: w2k
> Submission from: (NULL) (193.109.177.11)
>

> # rcmd build Translation-it
> * checking for file 'Translation-it/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * preparing 'Translation-it':
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... ERROR
> Malformed package name
>
> See the information on DESCRIPTION files in section 'Creating R
> packages' of the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.
>
> =====
> char "-" is not alowed in package name (bug in 'build' script or 'utils.R' or
> 'manuals/R-ext')

Why is that a bug? The documentation clearly says what is allowed and
this isn't:

The Package and Version fields give the name and the version of the
package, respectively. The name should consist of letters, numbers,
and the dot character and start with a letter. The version is a
sequence of at least two (and usually three) non-negative integers
separated by single . or - characters. The canonical form is as shown
in the example, and a version such as 0.01 or 0.01.0 will be handled
as if it were 0.1-0.

If we allowed "-" in names, the first thing that would happen is that
we get bug reports that library(Translation-it) causes weird error
messages.