[Rd] optimized BLAS

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 14 09:16:03 CET 2005

As a few of you will know, Dr Goto's BLAS is now available again
(http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/resources/software/software.php), but only for
academic use and only for Linux (at least in binary form, and source-code
licenses are not yet available).

http://www.netlib.org/lapack pointed me to AMD's ACML
(http://www.amd.com/acml).  This has a less restrictive licence, and seems
at least as fast as the Goto BLAS - it is also a full optimized LAPACK.

What does seem a bit confused is all the references to AMD64, when they
also supply 32-bit non-SSE2 and even non-SSE versions (and there are no
such versions of AMD64 to my knowledge).  It runs on my Athlon XP systems,
and even under Windows.

I've added comments in R-admin.texi and Windows support, in both R-patched
and R-devel.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk