[Rd] Help finding some code in the R source code

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Nov 14 01:39:05 CET 2005

Greg,

On Nov 13, 2005, at 7:03 PM, Greg Evans wrote:

> I'm trying to write some Python code to check if a string text
> contains a complete R statement.  I'm hoping someone will be able
> to point me to the right place in the R source code, so I can use
> it as a starting point.

What happens internally is that R runs the expression through the
parser. When the parser returns PARSE_INCOMPLETE then you know that
the expression is not complete and thus more input is needed. If you
are directly interfacing R from Python then you can easily do exactly
the same thing.
However, if you want a solution in pure Python, it may be more
difficult as it would be equal to re-writing the R parser in
Python... (or some 'light' version of it..).

Cheers,
Simon