[Rd] Recursive dependencies(Rcmdr)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Nov 11 16:10:39 CET 2005

Something might have slipped by me, but I got into the following situation
installing Rcmdr:

< install.packages("Rcmdr",depend=TRUE) >

Oodles of Output, until:

* Installing *source* package 'multcomp' ...
** R
** data
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library '/home/bs/pd/Rlibrary/mvtnorm/libs/mvtnorm.so':
  /home/bs/pd/Rlibrary/mvtnorm/libs/mvtnorm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Execution halted

.... Several oodles more for remaining packages ....

** building package indices ...
* DONE (strucchange)

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/RtmpF23254/downloaded_packages
Warning messages:
1: installation of package 'multcomp' had non-zero exit status in: install.packages("Rcmdr", depend = TRUE)
2: cannot create HTML package index in: tools:::unix.packages.html(.Library)

OK, so we start Rcmdr

> library(Rcmdr)

it then detects that multcomp is missing and asks for permission to
install it, giving the same result.

The thing appears to be that multcomp depends on mvtnorm, but the
extra dependency goes undetected. Manual installation of the two
works.

A workaround is that John adds mvtnorm to the Suggested list for
Rcmdr, but I wonder if we couldn't do something smarter.

> version
         _
platform x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
arch     x86_64
os       linux-gnu
system   x86_64, linux-gnu
status
major    2
minor    2.0
year     2005
month    10
day      06
svn rev  35749
language R
> .libPaths()
[1] "/home/bs/pd/Rlibrary" "/usr/lib64/R/library"