[Rd] mosaicplot() update and clarification

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Nov 8 09:22:03 CET 2005

> All,
>
> Again, my apologies for seeming to claim credit for
> your other mosaic implementation.  However, there are two
> sources of this confusion, and I hope the following helps.
>
> 1. "my" implementation (e.g. the one originally written for
> and included in S-Plus, then modified and improved for R
> by "KH") appears to have been included in a package
> called "vcd" at some point in time.  This was one of the
> first hits when I used googled "vcd".  See, for example:
>
> http://www.maths.lth.se/help/R/.R/library/vcd/html/mosaicplot.html
>
> 2. Once I load library(vcd) and do ?mosaicplot, the top of the
> help page does, in fact, say "package:vcd" although it credits me
> as the author?!  This was downloaded today from CRAN.  This most
> certainly is not my fault, nor do I want to take credit for
> something that isn't mine.  If {vcd} uses R:base's mosaicplot(),
> then, of course, everything is fine, but I gather from your email
> that this is not the case. So perhaps the {vcd} package needs to
> update its documentation.  If I am misunderstanding something,
> again, I apologize.

`mosaicplot' is a function in package `graphics' (and lists you as the
author) and `mosaic' is a function in package `vcd'. There _was_ a
function `vcd::mosaicplot' in older versions of the `vcd' package masking
`graphics::mosaicplot: `update.packages("vcd")' will update the package
and documentation on your system :-)

Best,

Torsten