[Rd] Classification Trees and basic Random Forest pkg using tree structures in C

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Nov 7 09:20:32 CET 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Liaw, Andy wrote:

> For some of the data we encounter, all X variables are binary, so each data
> point can be encoded into a bitstring.  There are algorithms that take
> advantage of that.  The problem is interfacing such code with R.  I know of
> no good solutions.  As I told Grant, I thought about what he did, too, but
> the difficulty is how to pass such data structures to R.  Actually, some
> time down the road I might try to use the dendrogram class that's in R, and
> manipulate them in C.

I faced similar problems some time ago and ended up representing a
(binary) tree as recursive lists which can be manipulated from both the C
and R side. The `party' package has the code (and an internal random
forest function, however, without R interface yet) and the vignette
explains some details.

Best,

Torsten