[Rd] Alpha and Beta testing of R versions

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 12:58:11 CET 2005

Martin's point is generally very valid, but in the case of the 2.2.0
release remarkably few of the bugs found since release were new in 2.2.0.
One thing we have learnt is that none of the testers seem to look at HTML
help (which accounts for 2 of the 4 2.2.0-only bugs I counted).

What we need most is persistent help in testing each release, especially
on unusual platforms.  How do we `incentivize' that?