[Rd] [R] unvectorized option for outer()

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Nov 1 15:16:53 CET 2005

The version I posted yesterday did indeed mess up when some arguments
were unspecified.  Here's a revision that seems to work in all the tests
I can think of.  I also added the SIMPLIFY and USE.NAMES args from
mapply to it, and a sanity check to the args.

I did notice and work around one buglet in mapply:  if you choose not to
vectorize any arguments, you don't get a call to the original function,
mapply returns "list()".

For example,

 > mapply(function(x) x^2, MoreArgs = list(x=2))
list()

whereas I would think 4 is a more logical answer.

Vectorize <- function(FUN, vectorize.args = arg.names, SIMPLIFY = TRUE,
USE.NAMES = TRUE) {

     arg.names <- as.list(formals(FUN))
     arg.names[["..."]] <- NULL
     arg.names <- names(arg.names)

     vectorize.args <- as.character(vectorize.args)

     if (!length(vectorize.args)) return(FUN)

     if (!all(vectorize.args %in% arg.names))
	stop("must specify formal argument names to vectorize")

     FUNV <- function() { # will set the formals below
         args <- lapply(as.list(match.call())[-1], eval, parent.frame())
         dovec <- match(vectorize.args, names(args), nomatch = 0)
      	do.call("mapply", c(FUN = FUN,
      			    args[dovec],
      			    MoreArgs = list(args[-dovec]),
      			    SIMPLIFY = SIMPLIFY,
      			    USE.NAMES = USE.NAMES))
     }
     formals(FUNV) <- formals(FUN)
     FUNV
}

Duncan Murdoch

On 10/31/2005 3:49 PM, Tony Plate wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 10/31/2005 2:15 PM, Tony Plate wrote:
>>
>>> [snipped comments irrelevant to this post]
>>>
>>> So, here's a first pass at a general Vectorize() function:
>>>
>>> Vectorize <- function(FUN, vectorize.args) {
>>>      if (!all(is.element(vectorize.args, names(formals(FUN)))))
>>>          stop("some args to vectorize are not args of FUN")
>>>      FUNV <- eval(substitute(function(x, ...) mapply(FUN, x,
>>> MoreArgs=list(...)), list(FUN=FUN)))
>>>      formals(FUNV) <- formals(FUNV)[c(rep(1, length(vectorize.args)), 2)]
>>>      names(formals(FUNV))[seq(along=vectorize.args)] <- vectorize.args
>>>      body(FUNV) <- body(FUNV)[c(1, 2, rep(3, length(vectorize.args)), 4)]
>>>      body(FUNV)[seq(3,len=length(vectorize.args))] <-
>>> lapply(vectorize.args, as.name)
>>>      FUNV
>>> }
>>

>> I'd think the formals of the result should be identical to the formals
>> of the input.
>>
>> Regarding the environment of the result:  it is used to determine the
>> meaning of symbols that aren't defined within the function, e.g. things
>> like "eval", "substitute", etc.  So I'd say that you don't want anything
>> special there, as long as you make sure that FUN is always evaluated in
>> its original environment.
>>
>> Generally I don't like the look of that manipulation of the body of your
>> result; it looks pretty fragile to me.  But I haven't worked out exactly
>> what you're doing, or whether it's possible to avoid it.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>>

> Thanks for explanation about the environment.
>
> I should have said, that manipulation of the body creates the call
>    mapply(FUN, A, alpha, MoreArgs=list(...))
> from the original (x is a dummy argument)
>    mapply(FUN, x, MoreArgs=list(...))
>
> Are there better ways to create that call?  The difficulty is that the
> argument names in the call are derived from the actual arguments to
> Vectorize(), and there is an arbitrary number of them.
>
> As for the formals of the result being identical to the formals of the
> input, I couldn't see any easy way to do that and still support optional
> arguments, e.g., if the input function formals were (a, b, t=1), then
> the result function would look something like:
>
> function(a, b, t=1) mapply(FUN, a, b, t=t)
>
> and missing(t) would not work correctly within FUN (with even more
> serious problems for optional arguments with no defaults).
>
> -- Tony Plate
>

>>> ssd <- function(A,alpha,Y,t) sum((Y - A*exp(-alpha*t))2)
>>> # SSD is a vectorized version of ssd
>>> SSD <- function(Avec, alphavec, ...) mapply(ssd, Avec, alphavec,
>>> MoreArgs=list(...))
>>> # Vectorize(ssd, c("A", "alpha")) should produce
>>> # function(A, alpha, ...) mapply(ssd, A, alpha, MoreArgs=list(...))
>>> Y <- 1:5; t <- 3
>>> outer(1:3, 1:2, SSD, Y, t)
>>> outer(1:3, 1:2, Vectorize(ssd, c("A", "alpha")), Y, t)
>>>
>>>  > # transcript of running the above commands
>>>  > Vectorize(ssd, c("A", "alpha"))
>>> function (A, alpha, ...)
>>> mapply(function (A, alpha, Y, t)