[Rd] Internationalizing the Rcmdr package?

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Sun May 22 06:52:52 CEST 2005

Hello John and Peter (and all),

Yes, it is probably better to use the same method as R uses, with po
files and gettext(). We are currently translating R in French and it
takes one hour or two to figure out how to do these translations with,
let's say, poedit. We would not like to deal with different exotic
translation files for different additonal packages.

I volunteer to translate RCmdr in French. You know it will be very
useful for my students.

You are certainly better to ask Brian Ripley directly for details on how
to implement this. However, may I suggest you first look at the code and
the ./po subdirectory of base and recommended packages of the R 2.1.x
version (for instance, source of base, graphics, or packages in the VR
bundle -class, MASS, nnet & spatial-) to get an idea of changes
introduced for internationalization.
Best,

Philippe

..............................................<°}))><........
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone (3D08)
( ( ( ( (    Academie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles
  ) ) ) ) )   8, av du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
( ( ( ( (
  ) ) ) ) )   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.30.54
( ( ( ( (    email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    web:   http://www.umh.ac.be/~econum
  ) ) ) ) )          http://www.sciviews.org