[Rd] SVN revision numbers

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 18 14:52:43 CEST 2005

You will start to see SVN revision numbers appearing in the the R-devel
version of R, for example

    R : Copyright 2005, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
    Version 2.2.0 Under development (unstable) (2005-05-18 r34401)
    ISBN 3-900051-07-0

This has been done to enable us to track more precisely the sources used
to build R: the date stamp is imprecise and sometimes gets to be wrong in
a tarball.

Users building from snapshot tarballs will see this as from tomorrow.

Windows users who used an SVN checkout will see this with immediate
effect.

Unix-alike users who use an SVN checkout currently will only see
something like:

> R.version
          _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status   Under development (unstable)
major    2
minor    2.0
year     2005
month    05
day      18
svn rev  unknown
language R

as we still have to decide what to do if e.g. an NFS-mounted SVN checkout
is used on a machine without SVN.  (In principle that can be done on
Windows and it is supposed to be working there, but we don't feel the need
to test it on Windows but do under Unix.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk